Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Tenants Defending Lawsuit in Magisterial District Court

In Pennsylvania, a landlord who wants to evict a tenant, who has not moved in response to the landlord’s eviction notice, must file a lawsuit at the Magisterial District Judge called a Landlord/Tenant Complaint. The Complaint, and a notice scheduling a hearing on the Complaint, will be given to the tenant by a constable or sheriff’s deputy in person or by posting on the tenant's door. A copy of the Landlord/Tenant Complaint will also be sent to the tenant by regular mail. Download our packet for more questions and answers concerning this topic.

Tenants Suing in District Magisterial Court

In Pennsylvania, if someone owes you money you may sue them in Magisterial District Court. Common reasons to sue are for the return of a security deposit, or for the value of property a landlord refuses to give back to the tenant after the tenant moves. For more information download our overview and sample pleading.